Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lucky #13

Scott and I are completing 13 years of marriage on Tuesday, January 13th. Wow. I never thought about what 13 years of marriage would look like when I was a single gal with brand new bling on my finger, but it is good to know that the decisions I made in 1996 were good ones, the love has lasted and evolved, and we are extremely committed to each other, our family, and our Lord.

We have a couple of issues, one of them being poor planning. If I had known that getting married in January would mean we were always tapped out financially, I probably would not have scheduled it for the 13th. Christmas has come and gone, the money has come and gone, and we have little dinero for celebrating, yet again. So, Scott decided to treat me to a couple of pleasures that cost little but appeal to me greatly: burgers and Top Chef.

I happen to love TV, and I love Top Chef. One of last year's contestants is from Atlanta and he always does interesting things with food, he is a good blogger, and he was the only decent guy on that show, so he was a favorite of mine. I knew that he opened a burger joint here in Atlanta called Flip, so Scott took me there for lunch. Richard was not there for the lunch crowd, but I got over it. I had the Butcher's Cut, which is a burger with blue cheese crumbles, red wine jam, and a side spread that I have no idea what it was, plus sweet potato tots. So tasty, so pretty, so good. Scott had a corned beef burger, dressed with a pickled cabbage slaw and topped with a fried egg. Scott loved it more with each bite. And to get food served to you like art - just like Padma gets on Top Chef - was a treat for me.

Our little lunch date was topped off with driving around the cool, historic neighborhoods around Buckhead, enjoying perfect weather and sunshine and listening to a good radio station (I heard a favorite song by Cowboy Mouth that I have always loved). And Scott did not get freaked out about traffic once - that was his real present to me this year. Thanks babe.

1 comment:

  1. Kasey and I are in the same boat and we have yet decided how and when we are going to start celebrating ours... glad you had a happy day w/ Scott and yeah Scott!

    ReplyDelete