Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Open Headwound - An Appetizer

As a mom and as a weighty human being, I am conscious of my diet and the diet of my family. The force-feeding of vegetables, the limiting of sugar, the overindulgence of Dr. Pepper - all of these are foremost in my mind. I want to do better, I know a lot of nutritional facts, and I watch Food Network. So, I attempt to make good choices for the family and I make careful and conscious decisions about treats. For example, I buy some sweets but only those things that my children will eat at my discretion. If I like, I don't buy it. I get Dr. Pepper and that's pretty much it.

For a healthy alternative, I decided it was time to try ground turkey. Can you believe I have never tried it before? I've done turkey bacon and turkey sausage, but I have never attempted to use ground turkey as a raw material for our meal. Tonight was the night -round one with ground turkey - and we had to go to Chic-Fil-A.

I could not stand to look at it. My ground turkey came in a package similar to sausage - plastic casing with big staples on the end. It completely weirded me out. No resemblance to ground beef. It resembled the head wounds and skin diseases that I saw recently on the Internet. Trust me, you do not want to research skin diseases. The next time you see a skin bump, don't bother trying to identify it using online slide shows from reputable web sites. You will not be able to peel the images from your brain.

My sweet husband understood my horror this evening and did not question the queasy feeling I experienced. Thanks babe - I did not want to serve a head wound for dinner.

1 comment:

  1. Give turkey another try, but don't buy it in a sausage tube and quit looking at skin disorders or we all will be vegans.

    ReplyDelete