Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Walk in the Woods

Scott and I took his parents on the perfect walk yesterday. We headed to Allatoona Pass, which is a Civil War battlesite (big shocker there) and strolled around, catching all the markers, picking up turtles, listening to the hound dogs barking. This morning walk was perfect. It was beautiful because fall is starting to come on, and we were there in between the day's rainshowers. I can't wait to go back because of the beauty, the peace, the smell of the rain, the feel of fall.

The location, plus the barking dogs, reminded me of Where the Red Fern Grows. Darby has not read that book yet, but I know she would cry her eyes out with it. How is it that all of these battlefield locations are so pretty? The pictures they show at these sites have dead bodies everywhere, horrible destruction and pain, but you go there today and it is a memorial to such a beautiful place. My husband keeps finding more battlesites to check out, and the more places he finds the more he wants to find more of them. If he starts donning a uniform and carrying an antique rifle, I will be staging an intervention.

1 comment:

  1. Sheree,
    Where the Red Fern Grows was one of my favs as a kid. Darby will like it (though it is so sad). My father-in-law is a revolutionary war reenactor, so if Scott gets into Civil War reenacting, I am sure he can impart some wisdom (just kidding about Scott doing that):).

    ReplyDelete