Monday, July 14, 2008

Morphine Made Me Wacky

So, the weekend of my birthday started so great - hot tub, pool table, beautiful scenery. Then I went home and fried my hand on one of my beautiful skillets. I put the beef tenderloin in the oven at 425 degrees to get the meat cooked in the middle, took it out with no problems, then became extremely distracted with dinner prep and grabbed the handle with no hand protection at all. I have never done this before and I blame it on the drama my daughter had created the entire day and the war she was waging with me. I ended up winning the war due to this injury. Lesson: mom wins, always. Even if she cooks her hand to do it.
It turns out I had second degree burns covering the perimeter of my hand around the palm, plus the undersides of each finger plus thumb. We have no doctor yet, so we went to Wal-Greens and asked the pharmacist where to go for an emergency. I froze my hand with ice, not feeling much yet, but at the ER center I started feeling it. I then received a shot of morphine and proceeded to freak out my husband. I remember pain, then warmth, then teeth chattering pain that I had only experienced during childbirth, then I slept (I think). Scott woke up several times in the night to make sure I was still alive, because it was a strange trip I was on. Today the hand is doing great and I can see everywhere that will start getting gross, probably tonight or tomorrow. I choose to never have this kind of adventure again.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. OK - I am now all caught up on your move, your house, your stove, your girls, holidays and birthdays. So sorry about the hand. Seeing it reminded me of Jack's burn. Only we did not wrap his thumb out, so he just had this stub. It does get better. Silver sulfadiazine is what they recommended to us for dressing it. Hope the rest of your summer is filled with only good surprised.

    Kelli

    ReplyDelete