Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Lesson Before Dying - from Heatstroke

Well, today was the garage sale.  The girls were excited, Scott was motivate to eliminate junk, and I was just hopeful we would make $200, because then it would all be worth it.  But no.

We got rid of a few things, but nothing really significant where we were thrilled to have gone to all the effort of this sale.  We spent some quality time with the neighbors, which was good.  As we sat around in the heat, playing cards that lost their stiffness due to the Georgia humidity, we learned quite a few things:

1.  Posting the garage sale listing on Craig's List was useless.  There were over 600 garage sale listings for just the Atlanta North section, and there is no way anyone would have been able to recognize the sale at our neighborhood.

2.  Small prices rule.  Anything of any quality, like the items my neighbors had, should just get auctioned on ebay.

3.  There are not enough hoarders in my neck of the woods.

4.  It is always humiliating when garage sale shoppers by a treasure just so their dogs can snuggle with it, and it was a treasure that your child would cling to because they loved it.

5.  Making the list of donated items for the charity truck is very annoying and time consuming and it is a determent for us good people looking for a tax deduction.

6.  We won't be having another garage sale, at least in this neighborhood, in this heat.  Yuck.

But the good news - the kitten came back and is purring at Roxy's feet.  Scott is ecstatic, let me tell ya :)

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! Small prices do rule. If Cole has any clothing or any of his baby items they will be going to a consignment sale. Yes, they are a lot of work, but I think I can recoup more of our investment in baby items for certain with consignment. For grown-up stuff I am not sure what I would do, but we always do eBay or craigslist and do research on eBay first for pricing. I have gotten a TON of great deals at garage sales (because small prices rule) and I could go resell the stuff for more even if it is for consignment and I don't make 100%. Like our broken camera. It is on eBay and selling for 50 bucks with an hour left whereas at a garage sale I would be lucky to get 10. Glad the kitty is back!:)

    ReplyDelete