Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Sasquatch Legacy

I have a pet peeve - cheap old flip flops. I don't like looking at them, I don't like seeing the dirt-stained footprints in them, I am a flip flop snob. My girls will always get a pair of flip flops in the summer, hopefully a pair that look slightly dressier than most so that when they put them on with a skirt they won't look like rednecks.

Today I purchased Darby's first pair of size nine flip flops. I was in shock when we were trying them on because I did not know that her shoe size had shot up that quickly. But as I reflect on my past history, thinking back to 1981, I was 10 years old and I wore size 9. Sometime in the 6th grade I got my first pair of 10s - a pair of burgundy tasseled loafers that made me look very mature and preppy. I even wore them with my Izod shirt and a grosgrain ribbon belt, a look straight out of The Facts of Life.

My foot size has always been a sore spot for me. There is nothing delicate and feminine about having honkin' big feet. And now...Darby gets to be a part in this foot circle of life. Darby, if I had thought it would have been healthy and reasonable, I would have bound your feet so they wouldn't grow. But, besides being unhealthy and unreasonable, I knew my 16 month old child would never walk if your feet were restrained. So here's to the girl who did not walk until 17 months! Enjoy your glorious honkin' big ski feet! They look much cuter with red toenail polish.

1 comment:

  1. Her Aunt Lanie is right there w/ her - long, skinny feet!
    I don't like dirty flips either, but have a hard time tossing if still good use - washer can help.
    Jo didn't walk until 18 months, but she has got these tiny things.

    ReplyDelete