Saturday, June 13, 2009

Scott's Curse of the Troubadours

Scott and I had a date last night. Yes, we actually did - babysitter and all. This is such a rare event, you would think I would have documented it with photos, but I could not. I think the last babysitter we hired was in October when he accompanied me to the Ryan Adams concert. Which brings me to the curse...

I like music that is generally never played on mainstream radio stations - guys that write and sing their own music, often times by themselves. Ryan Adams, for example. When we went to his concert in October I was just excited I got to see the guy before he left this earth because he has harmful behavior tendencies. We went to the concert and Scott hated it, but fortunately the concert was cut short after 1 hour due to Ryan's illness of flu. He rescheduled the concert and offered free tickets, but I had to pass on those because I had no Scott. Under no terms would Scott ever see him again.

So, in a desperate act of pleasing his wife, Scott got us tickets for Steve Earle. I am a Steve Earle fan, I find him very interesting and authentic, and I really wanted to see him but did not have the nerve to ask Scott to go with me. This concert was different - all acoustic, no drums, set outside in the Atlanta Botanical Gardens at Piedmont Park. The setting was perfect and I was pretty sure that Scott would not plug his ears all evening.

Everything was promising and I was enjoying the concert until about the eighth song. That is when the monsoon storm hit. We managed to duck and get under cover pretty quickly, but about a thousand people were soaked to the bone. Picture a bunch of society types, wearing their white linen shorts and carrying their wine buckets and their beach chairs - and now they are dripping wet because a huge storm system had come upon us, stretching across Georgia all the way to Alabama. Fortunately for us, the advanced society surrounding us wore undergarments. There was nothing to hid when all those richies got plastered with raindrops. If this had happened at a Braves game, it would have looked like more tailgating party antics.

They had to cancel the concert. There will be a rescheduled concert in all likelihood, but alas, another dream date dashed. Scott's curse of the troubadours seems to kick in after about eight-10 songs, which means that I get hopeful only to have the rug pulled out from under me. In another eight months, I'm due for another date/concert. I'm thinking I'll go to the movie store and rent a concert, then wait for the electricity to go out after about 8-10 songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment