Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When the Preacher's Away, the Wife Will Play

So...I skipped church.

This never happens in my real world.  I teach small children, I show up looking presentable, I talk to all the elderly members, and then I go home and collapse every Wednesday night.  But not tonight - I'm on Preacher's Wife Vacation.  Not something that the worthy woman from Proverbs would do, but I am a rebel (tonight.)

I went to the Blue Door in OKC and saw a bluegrass group called The Greencards.  The place has no name, no sign really, but it has a blue door and really interesting groups play there.  Even without air conditioning, the show was great.  About the Greencards:  it is amazing to me that two Aussies, one Brit, and one guy from Atlanta can sound like they were all born singing country music in Tennessee.  It is also amazing that I went to a concert that actually worked  - that hasn't happened in a while.  They were very good and they sang some great stuff, including a Patti Griffin song that made me want to pull out everything I have of hers and remind myself of why I love Patti.

I spent tonight with my brother and sister-in-law and my sister.  We were reflecting about how it was twenty years ago that my brother got married.  I showed my brother's wedding photo to Darby and she cracked up because I was dressed like a compound wife, or a Duggar daughter (whichever one you pick, I got the floral dress and hairstyle to match.)  We enjoyed looking at all the wedding pics today, laughing about the things that happened, like when my cousin Kelli and Jacob got stuck in the elevator at Scott Chapel and Kelli taught Jacob inappropriate jokes to distract him.  Ah, memories...

2 comments:

  1. I had never thought about the styles of 20 years ago looking like the Duggar daughters, but you've nailed it. Abby was looking at the pictures and said "What's with all the floral print dresses?" Many ladies were wearing those! I assured her that in 20 years she will laugh at she wears now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli here just checking in. And well, yes, I ran out of my "keep the young man in the elevator with you from freaking out conversations" and went to the potty humor jokes. It was a classic all about opening the refrigerator and drinking the contents and the apparent questionable humor of the Chinese. (And I was have several Duggar dresses in my closet.)

    ReplyDelete