Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Roadtrip Observations

1.  I drove across the hot, dry land in a black sedan.  That kind of sounds like a line from a blues song, doesn't it?  The black vehicle does me no favors when you are going to a place that is as hot as H-E- double hockey sticks.  My oldest daughter sang , "I see a black car and I want to paint it blue...", and I love it when my child knows some classic rock songs.  We owe  it all to Guitar Hero.

2.  Mississippi was especially interesting this go around.  I started counting Bingo parlors.  It was astonishing how many I found!  I also found a venue for adult male entertainment called "The Boobie Trap."  With a name like that, you have no doubts about the atmosphere...

3.  The award for the most idiotic restaurants/stores goes to...Oklahoma!  OK won this same award last time as well.  Roxy and I stood in line for over 10 minutes at a McDonald's, listening to the gentleman in front of me ask the cashier about the quality of their barbecue sauce, and then I looked down and saw he was wearing torn up, cheapo plastic shower shoes AND he had nasty toenails, too.  Roxy was watching the weird, slightly altered young man wandering the place with a "For Sale" sign duct-taped to his back.  Darby was noticing the unwashed dining tables and how many flies were congregating on them.  And then the cashier with the black hair with the white skunk stripe straight across the top of her head told me that the ice cream machine was broken.  Shocker.

So we left and headed across the street to the Wendy's/Gas Station.  I have previously had creepy experiences there, but I figured that we had no where to go but up after the McDonald's visit.  We ordered the Coffee Toffee Twisted Frosties (so yummy) and a Frostycino (very yummy and drinkable), BUT I had to pull over for Frosty triage because the stellar employees gave them to me with drippy ice cream cascading down each cup.  Nice.

4.  You can entertain Roxy for hours - no joke- with magnetic tanagrams.  It is one of those little brain-building items where you build certain pictures out of triangles, a rectangle, and a square.  The challenge is figuring out just the right placement to make the images.  Roxy is pretty good with spacial reasoning and she loves the challenges of puzzles and stuff like that, so my girl was busy, busy, busy.

5.  Darby was introduced to Weezer.  She is a fan of a couple of songs, so she was completely shocked to find that I actually own Weezer CDs from back in the day.  She does not even grasp the strange, bizarre music collection I have.  She thinks I'm a lame mom, but I know that cool moms have saved their Weezer CDs from 15 years ago.  Ha!

So we survived the roadtrip and we did not end up broken down on the side of the road (which is important when you consider the quality of I40).  Life is good, I have my family, and we are in need of a vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment