Friday, November 21, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Psychosis

The Christmas frenzy has arrived at the Franks' house - I have changed my address but Christmas found us anyway. The copious stack of catalogs have clued in my children and they are now plugging every item they see as a potential present for them. I get baby catalogs, but I have no babies, I get preschool catalogs but I have no small children. I get sports memorabilia catalogs yet I attend no games nor did I graduate from a major sports-oriented institution. Oh, the insanity. I happen to love magazines and catalogs, but for the first time I feel like going a little crazy with too much mail and too little inspiration to spend money.

Roxy and Darby have to look through everything, even the fruit and popcorn catalogs. Roxy grabs a highlighter and highlights everything she would like. Including things that are currently boxed up in the basement. Darby's list is pared down this year (thank you, thank you) but her most-desired items are as expensive as a government bailout.

I haven't bought one single thing for Christmas (yet). I ventured out to Macy's for the big one-day sale and purchased a $6.99 roasting pan for out Thanksgiving turkey. The people there were tense, bitter, and somewhat off their rocker. A women standing in the middle of an aisle got upset at an old man pushing a wheelchair that carried an invalid with multiple brain issues. The women, who I don't know, told the old man that he better not touch her because she was shopping and he could just wait on her to pass by. The old man yelled at her to get out of the way, in a very abrupt manner, and everyone within 12 feet took off, including me. As an observer I thought the poor soul in the wheelchair should take precedent over the casual shopper, but I don't want to have anything to do with either group that acts so rude in public.

I think I'll stick to the Amazon plan - if they ship it, I will buy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my house... we have circled and highlighted every magazine and have an initial J, D or A by it.
    My Amazon order is getting done today!

    ReplyDelete