Thursday, August 28, 2008

Not Sew Perfect

My first sewing machine was given to me by Santa and it was called "Sew Perfect". The machine did not live up to its name (imagine that), and my experiences with sewing my kitchen valances were remarkably similar.

Here is what I learned about sewing:

1. The first piece is always sewn wrong. There is no getting around a first-timers mistakes.
2. The worst part of the job is cutting everything out. Spend lots of time on this step so you don't regret the entire project - no mistakes can be made here.
3. Make your own decorative cording. I did, and I was successful at it. The premade stuff is horribly expensive.
4. If you have a weakness for fringe, like I do, remember that it is from the devil and will make you regret spending an arm and a leg on it. The fringe costs as much as all of your fabric and it contracts and expands at its own will, no matter how many pins you use.
5. I will never forgot or regret this experience because it made me appreciate my sweet momma that made all my dresses for me.

Pictures are coming, once I get the knobs drilled for the installation...

1 comment:

  1. ....and your "sweet" momma doesn't sew any more. I wonder why???

    ReplyDelete