Friday, July 31, 2009

Lock-in for Tweenagers

It's the end of summer and time for another big church event - the elementary school lock-in. Roxy's age group could not stay all night (a good thing), so I volunteered to stay with the older elementary age kids.

I would like to think that I can stay up all night with the kiddos, but I crashed at 3 am. I made it longer than Scott did, and that does make me a little proud. I thought the whole evening was fun and full of surprises. And the kids did well - some spills that were immediately cleaned and blotted, but no broken bones or anything that ruins an evening.

I was amazed at how much everyone enjoyed being together. It was very fun, even vacuuming the auditorium at 2 am was good, because it kept me awake and I didn't have to think about visitors finding Nerds ground into the carpet on Sunday. The thing that made the whole night successful: a few middle school kids, plus three high school kids. They can keep things going strong. There was this game where the three teams had to find specially marked Bibles, but the lights were out except for security lighting. Using flashlights, the kids found their Bibles and tried to avoid capture by the teenage guards. That game was the best and it was the most popular - and I did not have to run around at 1 am, attempting to capture fast-moving children. Yay me!

But today, I am worn out. I am taking Roxy to see G-Force, where hopefully Darby and I will nap while she laughs at all the talking gerbils. Yay me...again.

1 comment: