Monday, July 27, 2009

Empathy Pains

I just returned from a going-away coffee for one of the women from my book club group. It has been a while since we were together, but I have really missed this group of women and I am saddened to lose such a sweet woman.

I have a profound feeling of empathy for her. She is packing up the family and moving to Florida on Friday. She has two kids that don't want to move. She has a husband that is making her a little bit crazy. And she does not know if this move is a good move or not, but moving is inevitable - the die is cast, the decision is made, and the outcome for her is unclear at this moment. All of these things were my reality a year ago, and I remember the anxiety all too well.

I am very familiar with having to make a decision to move based on few facts and fewer alternatives. It is a strange scenario when you know that staying in one place is not the best option, but moving actually alters the entire life path for the entire family. Changing the environment of your children will change their culture, will change their perception of where they belong, will change their vision of where they are going and the way they actually get to that destination.

There is so much work to do in regards to my children. I hope I am making the right decisions for their spiritual welfare, their education, and their emotional well-being. We are one year into this most recent move and it is too soon to know the outcome.

For my friend, I hope she can work hard and get some support in Florida. I would definitely say that the first year is the toughest. We have had good experiences, some rewards, and signs of hope in this year - but that does not mean that it isn't tough. I wish my friend the best of moves and a good fresh start and a pleasant adventure for her and the family. There is nothing like having a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment