Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Boring Parents

Roxy thinks very little of her parents - we are too boring.

I hardly think I am boring. Scott is always busy, I am constantly thinking up activities for my kids, but Roxy thinks we are not cutting it by her standards. Yesterday evening after I finished washing dishes, Roxy asked what we were going to do. "Nothing," I said, because it was already past 7:00 and I wanted to do my crossword puzzle. Roxy asked," Don't tell me you are going to watch John Adams again!" And then she stomped upstairs.

Scott and Darby were upstairs talking about church camp for summer 2010 and the possibility of Darby attending camp in Montana. Darby was thrilled with this idea, probably because it involves a week away from her parents and her kid sister. Roxy, however, was indignant. "What! You mean she gets to go to camp, and what do I get?" Darby told her that she could get mom and dad, all to herself. Roxy's response was less flattering. "I get to stay home with no friends, and all mom and dad do is sleep and go to the bathroom." And she stomps off, again.

The boring parents: we sleep, we go to the bathroom, we watch John Adams DVDs from the library, I do crossword puzzles. Little does she know how exciting we would be if we did not have children. We could read books, collect yardsticks, sew curtains, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment