Thursday, September 11, 2008

That Girl Can Sing

A special thing happened for Darby today. Darby tried out for the Cobb County school district Honor Chorus and was one of the four Due West Elementary girls selected for it. She was so excited. And, to make it even better, one of her friends from school was a selected girl, too. Darby will get to miss school one day in October to practice songs for a vocal concert. I'm thrilled she tried out. Her last singing opportunity at the 4th grade program was tricky because she caught a cold and had practically no voice. But this time, we will not let a weakened immune system stop us!

Thinking about this reminds me of a very Darby, very poignant moment (most of them were deep, being a drama queen and all) when Darby received a Disney Karaoke system for her sixth birthday. She would dress as her favorite princess, Belle, and she would sing in a very sweet, deeply emotional voice. Her favorite song was Reflection, from Mulan. "Who is that girl I see/Staring staight back at me/When will my relection show/Who I am inside?" Darby could make me tear up with that song, especially since she was six and so full of ideas and dreams. You go girl - Congratulations on Honor Chorus!

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Darby. Congratulations on making Honor Chorus! That's really pretty neat, isn't it? We are real proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS DARBY!!! VERY EXCITING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaahhhh . . . how great is that? I'm proud you tried out Darby and happy that you get sing.

    ReplyDelete