Friday, April 23, 2010

The Proof Is in the Picture

Much to the delight of my mother, I actually spent an evening camping with my family.  For a city girl, this is a profound step.  I was not half as bad as the evil girlfriend from The Parent Trap movie, but camping has never been in my lexicon of experiences.  Until now.

Darby was the one that really wanted to camp, so we willingly obliged her.  And, it was a good experience for the whole family.  For Darby, she wanted to cook all our food over a campfire.  But for some reason, all the recipes she read about in her printed camping material never related that actually having warm food for dinner involves a one hour wait.  Food takes a while to cook when natural gas is not involved.  Scott's prehistoric camping equipment did not help us much, either.  We did get to spend an enjoyable, mild, bug-free evening out in nature.  I attempted to teach my family to play poker in our tent where we used flashlights to see our cards (see reference to prehistoric camping equipment to understand why flashlights were necessary.)  I slept outside in a tent with my daughters with a yoga mat to cushion my backside.  My husband, who has issues with crowds, slept in the car.  When I awoke to the scene of the sun coming up over the lake, I decided that it was a good evening overall.  And when we decided that boiling water was never going to happen, we escaped to a bakery in town and I went to some of my favorite little mountain shops.  Momma like.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I'm not a camper, either. I have never slept in a tent. I'm impressed with you for stepping out and trying something new.

    ReplyDelete