Monday, April 26, 2010

My Liz Lemon Life

Something comedic is conspiring against me - week after week after week.  I continually see a reflection of my life, my character, my personality - in Liz Lemon.  Liz Lemon is Tina Fey's character on 30 Rock, a somewhat dark-ish comedy that I happen to follow and would recommend to people who appreciate off-beat personalities and can overlook some very inappropriate behavior. The dialogue is very quick, which is a trademark of shows that I really enjoy.  The jokes are funny because they are true, and I can attest to exactly how true they are.

I never noticed the similarities until some random people commented on my likeness to Sarah Palin, primarily because I have the same color and length of hair, almost the same glasses, but that's about it.  Anyway, that triggered a reference to Tina Fey's portrayal of Mrs. Palin, and I started watching her show, 30 Rock, more closely.

And now, the character of Liz Lemon seems to be mimicking me.  This is a pathetic thing and not a compliment.  Liz has a lot of issues, most of which I happen to share.  To be completely honest, it is her issues that make her lovable and adorable and remarkable.  Her wearing of glasses, her lack of a social life, her wardrobe, her attempts at trying to be cool, her awkward dates, her diet, the fact that she wears old high school Tshirts when she works out at the YMCA, her weekend plans to play online Boggle, even her television addiction.  The list goes on and on.  I actually considered writing down every Liz Lemon similarity, but somehow an episode would come on and something completely unattractive would happen to her, and I would gape at the TV because of how it aligned with my life.  I made the editorial decision to not write down her high school humiliation because it only brings back uncomfortable memories.  Also, I have my pride.  My life is real, and however imaginary her life is, it is only funny because it is true.  But I digress...

I will positively know that Liz Lemon is channeling my life when she finds Jesus and starts a blog.  Wouldn't that be an interesting episode?  Yeah, maybe not that interesting, but it would really be my Liz Lemon life then.

No comments:

Post a Comment