Friday, April 30, 2010

Practically Perfect In Every Way

With my in-laws in-town, we wanted to show them just how big and intimidating Atlanta can be.  So we got opening night tickets for Mary Poppins, a Broadway musical premiering at the Fabulous Fox Theater.  My girls were so excited to wear their fancy dresses and get some live theater on a school night, and they looked beautiful. 

The Theater is really something special.  It was a Shriner's auditorium way back in the beginning and it has an Indian-inspired theme with is very opulent and exotic.  It is served by hundreds of volunteer ushers, all impeccably dressed, including one master of the house that looks spectacular as he greets people out front.  He reminds me of a ringmaster at the circus.

Circus is a good word to describe downtown Atlanta during rush hour and opening night.  Few things compare to the lunacy of Atlanta construction, the multiple streets named Peachtree, and all the general chaos of finding not-so-outlandish parking rates in Atlanta.  But we did manage to do okay, other than the fact that I did not get the photos I wanted of my daughters in the theater.  There was no time left, various family members went AWOL, some family members did not have their tickets or set their tickets down someplace inappropriate, and then there was the line for the ladies' room.  Sigh.

As for the show, it was enchanting.  Most of the songs were in the Disney movie, but good songs were added to make the stage story complete.  They embraced many tricks with the stage and lighting and props, making Mary Poppins as magical as she was on film.  I absolutely adore the Dick Van Dyke version of Burt, and the actor in the live show was so fabulous I would see the show again just because of him.  The performance of "Step In Time" is the highlight, with a team of tap dancing chimney sweeps that were absolutely, incredibly precise and fun.  The girls were blown away.  I was too, if you couldn't tell.  I want to go back to the Fox again and again.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the stage version of MP in Bristol England while on holiday down there a few years ago, and really enjoyed it. I would imagine it was a similar production to what you saw - with Mary 'flying' off at the end.

    NIce to be a kid again for a while isn't it?

    Nice photos of the family.

    regards.....Al.

    ReplyDelete