Monday, December 7, 2009

The Final Resting Place - Savannah Style

One of the things we experienced in Savannah is a somewhat unusual fixation with death.  Tons of people died there, primarily having lost their lives in tragic ways, so the ghost stories abound.  There is also a history of voodoo there and belief in spirits going back to the days of the pirates, the military, the slaves, etc.  I have never been a believer in ghosts, but all the freaky stories from Savannah make for a pretty entertaining tour.

There are spirits that supposedly haunt the Bonaventure Cemetary, a 600 acre cemetary covered with live oak trees dripping Spanish Moss.  This cemetary is incredibly old and striking.  I wanted to go to the cemetary, and because my family chose to indulge me, they did too.

The tributes made for the dead at this cemetary are incredible - works of art meant to be visited.  I am used to a world where very little is done to remember the dead, but that does not appear to be the case at Bonaventure.  I would have spent more time there if I could - it was really cool.


1 comment:

  1. The Spanish Moss sure does help make it even more eerie, too!

    ReplyDelete