Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Redneck Festival Season

Hooray for summer! We are closing in on the end of the school year, which means it is time for lots of quirky summer festivals. I will never forget the first festival I attended - The Strawberry Festival in Dayton, TN. Years ago, I experienced great food, live music, a scary parade where people walked around holding posters with images of people burning in hell...lots of good ol' redneck fun. We picked up a magazine that was specifically dedicated to southern mountain festivals in Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia. A few must see events that I have to attend:

-the Machine Gun Shootout in Knob Creek, Kentucky draws 35,000 people over three days. You can rent machine guns or bring your own, you can use flame throwers and M-50s - and just blow stuff away. This event sounds a little like the church Men's Retreat last fall.

-The Summer Redneck Games in East Dublin, Georgia includes hubcap hurling, bobbing for pig's feet, "Dixie" playing with various body parts, and belly flops into a giant mud hole. I think I'll take the kids to this one.

-Gauleyfest in Summersville W. Va includes a Rock Scissors Paper tournament with over 1,000 people, late night boxing tournaments, portable stripper poles, and thousands of oars for massive river rafts.

I have left out all the food festivals (strawberry, peach, buckwheat) and the bluegrass festivals (more than I can count) and a dirty dancing festival, but all of it fills me with anticipation. Music, food, rednecks in wifebeaters...hooray for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment