Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Children's Wonderland - for Steven King







There were a few details about the town of Warm Springs that I did not share with you, but I had to pace myself and reflect on the day. Scott's interpretation of Warm Springs was that it was the place where the evil clown from Steven King's It lives - a place where old carneys go to die and their ghosts get together for drinks.

When we hit main street in Warm Springs, we browsed a couple of shops and looked for a place to eat. I nixed everything I saw - I like charming, but there was something definitely off about the place. And then we found the courtyard...

Painted signs invited us to a courtyard of shops and antiques, and an older gentleman walking around told us the kids might like to look around the courtyard. There was even a sign calling it a Children's Wonderland - sounds good to us, so we bit on that one. I tried to capture it all in pictures, but you just had to be there...nonsensical statuary, most of it appeared to be dug up from Fred Sanford's house; broken merry-go-round machines that used to be at grocery stores, statues of giant green rabbits, broken juke boxes, very old, tacky dime store items for purchase but nobody there selling anything, outdoor toilets smack dab in the middle of the courtyard. Poor Scott was so creeped out he had to beat it out of there very quickly, but somehow that made me only laugh more. Somebody that just ain't right made this place, and I don't think it will be around much longer because they are advertising a giant estate sale on March 6th. Looks like the creepy clown from It will have to find a new place to live...

No comments:

Post a Comment