Thursday, March 11, 2010

Poetry Memory of Darby Franks

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!


The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!" from the poem Jabberwocky


I post this poem excerpt and this old photo of Darby from when she was six as an illustration of how different my children are, and how alike they look.
Clones.  I bore clones.

But never once did Roxy memorize poetry.  Roxy appreciates poetry, but Darby consumes and digests literature and poetry, then memorizes it forever.

Darby was introduced to the poem Jabberwocky by my sister.  At age six, it fascinated her and baffled me.  I did not get it.  I do not get the same aptitude scores that my daughter gets, because apparently the nonsensical poem made perfect sense to my six year old jewel.

But now it gets a little weirder.  Darby stills knows the poem and she is 11.  Sitting in a movie theater yesterday, trying to translate some of the dialogue from "Alice in Wonderland," I heard Darby begin this poem.  The movie includes most all the elements from this poem, which is an excerpt from a Lewis Carroll book.  Darby then points out the other things from the Jabberwocky poem that have been used in the movie.  I am impressed that the movie is staying true to the spirit of the original work, but I am baffled, once again, by my daughter's ability to pull knowledge gleaned years ago and apply it to something currently in front of her. 

What sounds like jabber-gobbledy-gook-wocky to me is pure poetry and art to her.  Darby, you go girl.

3 comments:

  1. What a cute pic.
    Reading this made me wish Nona could have known Darby... she would have loved her love for reading, especially poetry. I could just see them sharing some cookies, kool aid and a good read.
    I look forward to seeing how Darby uses her special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes! I thought it was a pic of Roxy! They seem to look different, but I guess it is only a difference in years. Roxy knows what she will look like in a few years?:) That would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that was a picture of Roxy, too.

    Lauren LOVED "Jabberwocky". She took it upon herself to memorize it...she never did that with anything else (besides songs)...and she loved to recite it to all you would listen. Perhaps she and Darby are kindred spirits. :) Anyway, it is amazing how God creates these masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete