Friday, March 19, 2010

Introducing "Old Blue"

I finished my quilt today.  This project was pieced together by my sister, way back in 2001 or 2002, for my kitchen table.  My desire to use blue and white in my kitchen prompted this project, and it moved to four different houses with me until finally it found its home on my dining room table.  I learned how to quilt in November of last year and kept plugging away these last few months to knock this baby out.

Blue and white color patterns are my favorite and have been ever since I was eight or nine and visited my great aunt Elvie (she was my grandma Tiny's sister.)  She was showing me all the quilts that all the ladies in Hopper, Arkansas worked on, many of which were made of feed sack fabric.  There were also some stained from their chewing tobacco, because while they worked, they would chew and then reach down to get their individual coffee cans for a spit.  My favorite (sans spit) was a blue and white quilt, and she sent me that very quilt for Christmas one year and I was very excited.  Some 20 years after receiving that quilt, Scott and I very unexpectedly found a straight pin that had been quilted into the quilt.

What I like about quilts is all the handwork that goes into them.  The more, the better.  My first quilt is all hand quilted by me, myself, and I.  It does make me proud that I have finished it.

Now I want to go out and get fabric and make some modern, colorblocked quilts for my girls.  I want to make a 1930s feedsack-ish quilt for my living room.  And I want to make a classic blue and white quilt for my bedroom.  I might even turn into one of those ladies that stock piles fabrics, just because.  (Won't Scott be thrilled to read that sentence...)

So, "Old Blue" is finished and it is not where I envisioned it would be, but I am happy just the same.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, c'mon... everyone needs a fabric stash! It's beautiful, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is a wonderful quilt! The quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete