Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Almost Half-Full Cup

February just brings me down.  I say this easily, but let me tell you, I look forward to nothing in the entire month.  If it isn't the cold and the weather, then it is the high gas bill or a sickness or something equally...blah.

So, I decided that for a week I would try to list and focus on the good things, the blessings.  I was not going to focus on the stuff that makes me my natural pessimistic self.  Not that I don't believe in thinking positive, because I do in many situations.  But my natural response to things is ticking off the negative before getting around to the positive.  I try to do this in my head, so as not to negatively influence my girls or anyone else, but sometimes fighting against your pessimistic nature is tough.

For the most part, I did pretty good with my list of good things.  Yesterday was a tough one, though.  Maybe that was because I tried to extend my experiment another week...

Monday:  I finished a good book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  Really appreciated it on many levels.  I also enjoyed my Darby.  She remembers everything about Greek mythology, in detail, so she explained the lastest adventure movie, Percy Jackson and the Olympians:  The Lightning Thief.  (My pessimistic self would like to point out that just about everything else on Monday stunk.)
Tuesday:  got a good haircut.  Nothing is more positive than good hair.
Wednesday:  volunteered at the school and looked cute doing it, then had a mini date with Scottie.
Thursday:  watched Big Love.  Feel pretty good about myself considering how mixed up that polygamist family is.
Friday:  prepped for my Bible class.  I am always happy when I am ready for that one.  I also got to eat some yummy and free breakfast sandwiches.  And then, spent a couple of hours focusing on Channing Tatum in "Dear John."  I hope to focus on him again in the near future, because I liked doing that :)
Saturday:  went to the Ladies' Retreat.  Drove up, had some visiting time, then found a huge, glorious outlet mall out in the boonies of North Georgia that is well worth the drive.  Being that I have not spent a day away from my children in quite a while (like last year, Ladies' Retreat), this day topped my Friday good things.
Sunday:  Lord's Day.  It was all good, even the part where we all cleaned the house.  The clean house makes me so happy on Monday, and Tuesday, and all the other days after that.
Monday:  Made a new recipe in my dutch oven, and it was quite a yummy event.  Love my cast iron dutch oven, love my chicken and peppers in vinegar.
Tuesday:  Sweet card from my daughter.  And good news from the doctor, even though the wait and the copay nearly cancelled this one out.  Oops, the pessimist emerges yet again...
Wednesday:  I'm at a loss.  Where is my positive moment?  I found a spot on the ceiling, the wind was freezing me, had to pay some bills.  Yuck.  I guess the positive moment was my whole family sharing the guacomole I made at dinner.  When life hands you overripe, brown, squishy avacadoes, make guacamole.

I decided to take a vacation from my optimistic outlook today.  But I am happy to say, even though I am on a break, my cup is almost half full.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel a little more optimistic now its March! Spring is on the way...

    Sexy Herbal Remedies

    ReplyDelete