Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Mother's Guilt: A Whole New Low


Let me start this article by noting that while I am not an expert on child development, I am a mother in the trenches and I have formed a few solid opinions. I believe that three year olds are more difficult than two year olds. I think that four and five year olds are at a great, enjoyable life stage. I believe that first grade is hard and that a lot on conditioning takes place in this year. I also believe that second and third grades are mostly wonderful. I think that fourth grade is a foreshadowing of life to come and that fifth grade is the beginning of a very trying time for your own child.

So now I find myself dealing with new struggles on a daily basis. I am digging in my heels, people. Mom will never lose to a 10 year old and I will not let the needs of my first grader make me look and feel incompetent. I am The Mom and I will not go quietly.

All of this makes the card that my sweet first grader wrote to me seem especially heart-wrenching. Forces are working against me, plunging me to new levels of guilt, low levels at that.
(The card, written in first grade spelling, says: Dear Mom, remember when you were 10. Well help Darby. Love, Roxy)

I'm considering giving a card to Roxy saying, "Remember to obey The Mom, because one day you will be 37."

No comments:

Post a Comment