Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"He's in the Jailhouse Now"

I was remembering that line from the song in "O Brother Where Art Thou" when we went to the police precinct on Saturday. Our church had a community service day and a group of us provided meals to our police officers and firemen. Their stations are connected - the fire trucks and the police tank are in the same garage, they use the same fuel stations, etc.

I have toured the fire station a few times in my life, but I have never been to the police station. This place is not Hill Street Blues, but it does resemble Mayberry because it is a small unit. Every officer was so nice, every room was so tidy, and all the evidence was kind of interesting (stolen property, that is.) I saw where they give drunks their breathalyzer test. I learned that refusing to take the test, sober or not, means an automatic forfeiture of your license for one year with no exceptions.

The best part was the room with jail cells. For some reason, neither Darby or Roxy would go in it. Scott would not go in it, either. I stayed at the very back, cracking jokes about our friend from church who went in the cell and needed a "get out of jail free" card. It was a very enlightening tour and the officers were very nice. The firemen were cuter, although I am pretty sure that only the women noticed that detail...

No comments:

Post a Comment