Thursday, August 26, 2010

Diss'd in the Malibu

I have been seeing my old car in numerous places these days.  The Malibu Chevelle is making a comeback!

I have seen it featured in all the advertising of the show, Memphis Beat,  That show has been on cable this summer so often, and his car is also the original color of my old car.  It is also in the movie, The Other Guys.  I've even seen it on the streets of the Atlanta area.

Every time I see it, I have to smile.  It was the car on which I learned to drive. No power steering, practically no air, regular gasoline, it could easily seat six ( which would happen once I was in college.)  I never wanted to drive it to school because these guys would look at it, and they were not the guys I felt comfortable looking at, much less joining in their conversation.  But once I went to college, it became a thing of character for me.

It built my character on a regular basis.  I broke down in the car all over the place.  It once stopped running due to extreme cold, leaving me stranded out in rural Oklahoma where the block froze on it and it ruined all the houseplants I was "babysitting" over Christmas break.  It was never a thing of beauty until we had it painted I-ROC blue, which is my favorite cobalt-type color, and then the guys remembered the girl in that old car.  I would get phone numbers left on the car, from guys that noticed me in it and wanted me to call them.  I would get notes about how they loved my car.  They probably wanted to buy it, but it made me feel appreciated anyway.

So now, I find myself sentimental about my old car and my 20 year old self and all the friends I drove around in the car.  Those were the days...

No comments:

Post a Comment