Saturday, May 8, 2010

Momma Like Date Night

You know it must be Mother's Day when my husband takes me to a concert.  Concerts just aren't his thing, but he knows that I love big events like that, I love loud music, and I love getting to do something I want to do.  So we went to see Van Morrison last night.  And I ate at La Madeline, so my tummy is happy and I checked one more musician off my concert bucket list.

Van has been recording for almost forever, which means 50 years in real terms.  In the 60s, he looked like Charles Manson.  Now, he resembles Jack Nicholson.  For an old man, he is really on his game.  The singing was excellent, the musicality was very good, and the crowd for an old man like Van was just as huge as any other big, current name in music.

Scott likes Van, if for no other reason than he starts on time and does not waste any time talking to the audience, pandering for applause.  The crowd was a curious collection of young and old, preppy and dred locked, almost all of them wearing comfortable shoes.  Scott was one of two people in the whole theater that had his shirt tucked in to his jeans.  My prim and proper husband was outnumbered.  And no cameras allowed at this venue - we watched stupid women trying to record him and then get bounced by large security men.  As a rule follower, I definitely approve.  But a picture would have been nice :)

The problem I had this particular evening was that Van has so many songs and so many albums, you could not possibly know what all he would sing.  I did not even know half of his songs, and I have nine Van Morrison albums.  And he did not play my favorite song.  Should I be disappointed?  It's tough to say that I am, because he couldn't possibly play them all.  But next time - if there is a next time - he better play "Into the Mystic."

No comments:

Post a Comment