Friday, January 1, 2010

Strange Things in the Bargain Bin

I happen to be one of those people that waits until after Christmas to get a calendar so that I pay half price.  There are multiple problems with this scenario, because depending on the year, you wind up with unspeakable things to choose from in that half price bargain bin.  I also happen to be a preacher's wife, so anything with a reference to a housewife drinking martinis would raise eyebrows amongst my small group families.

This year was especially profane.  I found lots of cursing on calendars, entire calendars dedicated to naughty housewives and pinups, and more references to tasteless jokes and alcoholic behavior than I have ever encountered.  Where are the tasteful calendars?  Hanging in people's homes because they paid full price, I guess.

The only calendar that was remotely close to my personality was the one pictured below.  It makes me remember my brother.  In the seventies, he would get the stickers from gum packages and stick them on his bureau.  And I would read all of them and be too young to get the humor.  My brother's old bureau is still in my parent's garage and you may still be able to see a faded sticker or two on it.

I will enjoy the nostalgia of this calendar all year.  It is also funny that it included some free stickers in it, but they were all about alcohol and smoking.  Those will not be stuck on Roxy's bureau.  Let it be said, let it be done.


1 comment:

  1. I had a bunch of those stickers in my sticker collection. I always thought they were so funny. Enjoy our trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete