Thursday, September 10, 2009

Let It Be

I watched a documentary about the Beatles on VH1. Apparently it was released in 1995, but I was so smitten with my fiance and wedding plans and work, I missed the whole thing. It was a very interesting documentary, though, and it made me remember lots of things I had tucked away into my brain.

I learned about the Beatles from my brother, who gleaned most of his Beatles knowledge from our cousin. The big splurge for us was a double album on 8-track, which we memorized on our car trips. When my brother bought the record of the White Album, he would play some of the songs for me. I learned about the Gideon's Bible found in motel rooms because Paul sang about it in "Rocky Raccoon." I still have no idea why they put "Number 9" on that album, but we listened to it backwards, just like you were supposed to hear it. And I learned not to reveal too much to Mom because there was a not-so-Christian song on there about a road and doing something in it...

I remembered the not-so fortunate school picture of my sister where she wore John Lennon hair and glasses. It was the seventies, and everybody wore that hair and those glasses, but she was really channelling John that day. Last night, I could not forget my sister's photo.

I remembered teaching Yellow Submarine to Darby and Roxy. They don't love it like I love it, but I can play that one on the piano so there. I like Yellow Submarine because of the Beatles cartoons that I would watch in the mornings before I went to school. I would catch those when I didn't like the episode of I Love Lucy or Green Acres. (My TV addiction started early.)

I like psychedelic Beatles the best, and I like the Paul the best. "Let It Be" is the best song of them all. I asked Scott his opinion, and surprisingly enough, he does not have a favorite Beatle, much less a favorite song, but he is very anti-Yoko.

I want the Beatles Rock Band really really really bad. I hope Santa remembers this.

4 comments:

  1. Paul is SOO my favorite. I used to watch Hard Days Night and Help! like every other day as a teen. I have a couple really cool pictures I drew of the Beatles, too. I prefer the older stuff, and Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road. I think when they got really psychadelic it was a bit much for me, but I love Paul McCartney and Wings. I wish I would have seen them when he toured last. Oh well. I am with Scott on Yoko...she is a weirdo and made John even weirder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sheree! It looks like the comments are working again for me! Anyway, welcome back to blogosphere! you've been missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is verrrry sad that I looked like Lennon in that picture. (but look how Mom straightened my hair without appliances or products!)

    In high school we had a Bible class centered around Beatles songs, believe it or not. The important part was labeled "Let It Be". That was the scripture as in "speaking words or wisdom".

    My favs are "Let It Be" and "Yesterday".

    ReplyDelete