Friday, January 28, 2011

Hello, I Am ISTJ

Have you ever been confronted with the limitations of your personality?  Maybe "limitations" is not the best choice of word, but today, it definitely felt like a limitation.


Over the years, I have had the opportunity to do a self-evaluation in the form of a Meyers-Briggs test.  Took one before I married my husband, and I took one after some major events went down (in the form of unemployment, sale of a home, parenthood, relocation to an unknown city 1000 miles away).  I had another test compiled for my husband and myself that provided much insight into the way our relationship works together and how our needs can be met when comparing the needs and personality of my husband.  I happen to love these test things, not because I am into psychology, but because it has a way of helping you remember how you are wired and what works for you.


In the beginning, I was an ENTJ (extrovert, intuitive, thinking, judging).  Because I am a constantly evolving mom, my label has changed.  I blame mommadom on switching from intuitive (N) to sensing (S).  Also, my role as preacher's wife and my marriage to an introvert has provided me with the insight that I am no longer an E (extrovert) but an I (introvert).  Once I earned an F (feeling) instead of T (thinking), but that was probably an anomaly or just a very hormonal day for me.  The funny thing about these tests is my husband's results:  they have not changed one little bit.  He is a hardcore INTJ, as far on the scale of each of those categories as possible.  My scores reside largely in the grayer areas.  It actually angered me the second time we had the analysis processed, because I could not figure out how on earth he could not change, and I was a statistical mess based on the way I was scored.  Hence, the anomaly/hormonal day.


As a parent, I am conscious of raising my girls to be flexible, forgiving, unafraid to try new things, ready for growth and development and knowledge.  Wouldn't it be great if I could remind myself of these things as well?  In my years on this earth, it never ceases to amaze me how i get myself into situations where I just shouldn't be, where I am so out of my element that I cannot remember the things I am trying to model to my girls.  I simply mess it all up, and because of the J (judging) part of me, I put my foot in my mouth.  In public, I should remain an I (introvert) and keep the E (extrovert) under wraps for my own good.  Good idea in theory, but very difficult to practice.


So the next time I have to work with the world, out there, or the next time I am trying to find some form of employment and am trying to impress a boss with my attributes (not limitations), I think I will print off a new name tag with this information:




ISTJ Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized – their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.


Disclaimer:  Scott does not agree that I try to make everything orderly and organized.  Comparatively, he is definitely the organizer and orderly one and I am the loose, unscheduled one.  I like to think it is my mission in life to give him something to organize :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a hard EN, but on the cusp of the other two (F/T and P/J) measurements. Seems I'm mostly in a house of introvert women, so that's interesting...

    ReplyDelete