Sunday, October 11, 2009

Powder Puff Recap: Darby's Story

Hello, eworld! I am back,with better weapons and a stronger army to CONQUER ALL!!! Just kidding. But I am here to make a new post on a subject I knew little about until this afternoon-football.

A few weeks before this whole she-bang came about, Mrs. Woosley came into 56X with a sign-up sheet for the annual Powder Puff football game. We were all sort of like, "Meh, I'm not that good at football." I definently knew I did NOT want to kill myself and the spirit of my teammates dropping the ball left and right, breaking my back getting tackled, and throwing the ball approximately 3 yards. Some girls signed up right away after Mrs. Woosley mentioned that Zach Durden would be there as a coach. "ZACH DURDEN!? I'M IN!!" Instantly 3 girls scribbled their names on the sheet. I wasn't giving in.

A week before the game, I looked at the sign-up sheet posted outside the Teen Center. Some strange voice in my mind told me to sign up, you won't regret it, do it. And I listened. Later I asked myself, "Why did you just do that, completely out of the blue?! You are one crazy chick."

This morning, everyone was buzzing over the game. Inwardly, I slapped my wrist. Today is the day of the game and you forgot to bring a change of clothes! Bad Darby! My lovely mother, however, rushed home at 12:00 to get my clothes so I would not have to wear a miniskirt and leggings running down the front lawn of the church. I changed as soon as I got my clothes and found out I would play on the blue team with Rachel Woosley. After a lunch of turkey and cheese sandwitches, we went outside to warm up with a co-ed game of 2-hand touch. Zach was captain and sometimes quarterback of our team. Mostly, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to go to the ER by 4:00.

I turned out to be better than I expected. I made our first touchdown, but I didn't know it until people were congratulating me after, amazingly, I caught the ball at the end zone. I had to get over the shock that I actually caught a football for the first time in my life with no previous training in the first half of the game, and then over the fact that I made a touchdown when I did. I floated on that score for quite a while, until I started getting random rushes of blood to the head and had to sit down during water break before the real game started at 2:00. Then it would get serious.

When everyone arrived, and we managed to get all the guys off the feild, the pink and blue teams huddled to find out their positions. I had an important position-center linewoman. For a minute I practiced snappind the ball to Breezy, our quarterback. It's a nice position because you have defenders on either side of you, and you just have to spread your legs apart and toss the ball through them. You just have to be kind of quick at tossing it after they say, "Hike!"

We did have some injuries, though. Allie DuBell (is that how you spell it?) was the first to go. She landed hard on her knee making a score and had to leave.We continued the game, but we had to cancel due to severe injury. I'm not sure quite what happened, but I'm guessing that she was makins a run for the goal, got tackled really hard and landed on the ground in a way that she damaged her head badly. She tried to sit up, but just got really dizzy and I think they had to call 911. So glad I didn't see the ambulance. (shudder)

All in all, though, it was a really fun day. I know I'll do it next year-but maybe with pads.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good time and scored! Just wait until you get in High School...sometimes they will do Jr. girls against the Sr. girls and if you are dating a guy on the football team, you can wear their jersery - ask your Dad about all the girls that wanted to wear his...

    ReplyDelete