Sunday, August 9, 2009

Rednecks on the Hooch

Another family adventure for the Franks' fam - we went tubing on the Hooch (or the Chattahoochie as it is formally called.) I wish I had floating pictures for you, but alas, photography was an impossible task.

First of all, there were thousands of people in Helen, Georgia. And everybody was floating! You may think it is inappropriate of me to call these people rednecks, but I am including myself in this group. I did wear jean short and a wife beater t-shirt for this float. The only thing I was missing was copious tattoos.

It is actually an enjoyable experience, but you must be prepared for long lines, hot weather, and too few restrooms. Aside from that, the water felt great in the heat, it is a really cheap way to spend the day, and sitting around in an inner tube is pretty relaxing. We heard numerous languages spoken on Saturday, so it was very international. We ate German food, because the village of Helen looks like something out of Grimm's Fairy Tales. It is very touristy, and we avoided most of that. We definitely avoided the Wicken shop - we just are not that type of family.

Probably the most surprising part of this trip was the feeling of the state fair. This is where the fair people go in August, before the fair comes to town. I was shocked at the number of floaters that smoked as they drifted down the Hooch. How do you keep cigarettes dry? Also, the Hooch tailgating parties were a little bit surprising. A flotilla of women, all bearing tattoos, floated over to a tailgate and partied in the river with their beers and cigs. And, as you continue floating down the Hooch, there are only more and more drinking opportunities from the luxury of your very own floatie! I hope my children aren't damaged by seeing too many inebriated rednecks. If so, I'm sure their exposure to them at the fair will seal the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment